Arrest made in double homicide


An 18-year-old Rio Communities man is in custody on a $1 million bond for allegedly shooting and killing a father and daughter early Saturday morning in their Jarales home.

An 18-year-old Rio Communities man is in custody on a $1 million bond for allegedly shooting and killing a father and daughter early Saturday morning in their Jarales home.

Clara Garcia-News-Bulletin photo: Jordan Hurd, 18, of Rio Communities, is being escorted by Valencia County Sheriff’s Deputy John Paul Gallegos to the Valencia County Detention Center Tuesday after being arrested for shooting and killing a father and daughter over the weekend.

Jordan Hurd is charged with two open counts of murder, one count of armed robbery, one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and one count of conspiracy.

While being escorted by sheriff’s deputies to the Valencia County Detention Center on Tuesday morning, he told reporters that he didn’t know the family and wasn’t in the victim’s home that morning.

Valencia County Sheriff Louis Burkhard said Hurd went to the home at 458 Jarales Road early Saturday morning to steal methamphetamine, which the sheriff said was being sold out of the home.

At some point, the sheriff said, Hurd shot Wesley Hobbs, 54, two or three times in the head; Patricia Hobbs, 49, and their 24-year-old daughter, Amanda.

Wesley Hobbs was pronounced dead before he was to be airlifted to an Albuquerque hospital that morning. Amanda Hobbs was shot once in the head, and died at about 3 p.m. Sunday at the University of New Mexico Hospital.

Patricia Hobbs was also taken to the hospital, but was treated and released Saturday afternoon. Burkhard said Patricia Hobbs was also shot, but the bullet grazed her.

“She was very lucky,” Burkhard said of Patricia Hobbs’ injury.

According to the criminal complaint filed in Magistrate Court in Los Lunas Tuesday, when deputies arrived at the Hobbs’ home, they first met with Patricia Hobbs, who had her hands on the left side of her face, shouting she had been shot.

As the deputies made their way through the house, they discovered Amanda Hobbs in the living room, unconscious, but breathing with a large amount of blood around her head.

Wesley Hobbs was found in his bedroom, sitting upright with a single gunshot to the head.

According to the complaint, Patricia Hobbs told detectives a man, with red hair, and another individual went to the house to drop off a radiator for her husband.

She also told detectives she was in the kitchen when she saw three men enter the bedroom, and after a few minutes, she heard her husband say, “what,” and then heard two gun shots.

Patricia Hobbs also told deputies her daughter was shot as she walked out of her bedroom.

“Mrs. Hobbs said she dropped down on the floor to her hands and knees to cover herself,” the complaint said. “Mrs. Hobbs heard a male say ‘there is still one alive,’ at which time she felt a burning sensation on the back of her neck.

“Mrs. Hobbs said Mr. Hobbs did traffic illegal narcotics and was probably going to sell (to) the two unknown males methamphetamine.”

The complaint states that, during their search of the house, detectives found a “bong” in every room, along with a methamphetamine pipe, a scale and clear plastic baggies in Wesley Hobbs’ bedroom.

During another interview with detectives, a man told investigators he had been at the Hobbs’ home the night before and saw two individuals drive up to the house. According to the complaint, the man said he went inside and spoke to Wesley Hobbs.

The witness then said when he left, he heard gunshots from inside the house. The witness told detectives the shooter’s name was “Jordan,” and that he had just got out of jail five days prior.

The man told police “Jordan” had removed the methamphetamine after shooting Mr. Hobbs, the complaint said.

Detective Sgt. Don Derrick said detectives got enough information from their interview with the shooting’s sole survivor for an arrest warrant for Hurd Monday night.

Hurd was arrested and taken into custody after sheriff’s detectives found him at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday at McDonald’s in Los Lunas. The sheriff said the suspect was with another individual, who was questioned and later released. Burkhard said he doesn’t believe that person was involved in the triple shooting.

The sheriff did say investigators believe that at least one other person went into the Hobbs home with Hurd with the intention of committing an armed robbery. Detectives are following up on the possibility of a third suspect.

“We don’t have much information on that, but detectives are currently doing follow-up in identifying that person,” Burkhard said. “There were a number of statements taken during the investigation that led us to the arrest of Hurd.”

The sheriff said there isn’t a direct connection between Hurd and the Hobbs family, but it appears the teenager went to the house to obtain meth. Burkhard said Wesley Hobbs had an outstanding warrant for a narcotics-related charge.

When asked if Patricia Hobbs would be charged with anything in connection with the alleged narcotics in the home, the sheriff said the investigation is ongoing and detectives will look into it as the case moves forward. He said she has been cooperative with detectives.

Two days after the shooting, Hurd was in district court on an unrelated charge of breaking and entering. According to court documents, Hurd pleaded no contest to the fourth-degree felony on Monday in front of District Court Judge Violet Otero. She sentenced him to 18 months of supervised probation.

Hurd was arrested on Aug. 10 by Belen police, who, in an affidavit for an arrest warrant filed in Belen Magistrate Court, say they were dispatched to a home on the 100 block of S. First Street.

The homeowner told police that he walked into his garage and noticed it had been broken into and burglarized. The window on the east side of the building had been broken and missing items included an air compressor, a generator, video gaming equipment and meat from the freezer.

Hurd was arrested after a traffic stop blocks away on Second Street. Inside the vehicle, officers found the stolen items from the victim’s garage.

Sheriff’s deputies had stopped Hurd when they noticed the vehicle was scraping its under carriage, causing sparks. The affidavit said the “vehicle was packed with so many items, the trunk would not close …”

Deputies also charged Hurd with unlawfully carrying a deadly weapon and unlawfully possessing a handgun by a person under 19 years of age. According to a criminal complaint, when deputies made the traffic stop, they saw what appeared to be a large hunting knife lying in between the driver’s seat and the center console.

They also saw a large piece of wood with black tape wrapped on one end, appearing to the deputies to be a make-shift club. When the deputy asked Hurd to step out of the vehicle, he told them he had a pocket knife in his right pocket, according to the complaint.

While performing a pat down, deputies found a revolver-type handgun in Hurd’s back pocket. When asked about the gun, Hurd told deputies the gun was his and he had forgotten it was in his pocket. Hurd is scheduled to go on trial on Nov. 5 on the misdemeanor weapon charge in front of Magistrate Danny Hawkes.

-- Email the author at